The American Friends Alumni Council develops and supports activities that increase the intellectual and social interactions among Humboldtians in the United States. The Council is a standing committee of the Board of Directors, and is comprised of Humboldtians.
The Alumni Council is looking for innovative ideas to support its goals and objectives to the benefit of the US alumni of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. To encourage US alumni to remain connected, the Alumni Council provides small grants to US Humboldtians to support alumni events and activities. Significant flexibility exists for the types of events to be funded. Examples of events include lunches or dinners with a discussion theme, partial support for a regional gathering of alumni with a substantive program, and seed money for a Kolleg.
- Eligibility: Any US Humboldtian(s) may solicit funding from the Alumni Council for a “Humboldt Alumni Event.” Members of the “Humboldtians on Campus” initiative, in particular, are encouraged to take advantage of this funding opportunity.
- Grant guidelines: Funds can be used as seed money for subsequent bigger events or to support a self-contained activity that enhances the intellectual and social interaction among Humboldtians in the United States.
- Funding levels: Alumni grants typically range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Approximately $10,000 per year will be available to fund proposals.
- Application procedure: Proposals should be submitted to the Alumni Council via American Friends office at email@example.com. Proposals are accepted on a rolling basis, but should be submitted well ahead of the proposed event to ensure the Alumni Council has sufficient time to evaluate the request. The Alumni Council will make a funding decision within about a month of submission. Grantees are required to submit a brief summary report to American Friends after the event.
- Questions? Proposals and requests for additional information should be addressed to the Alumni Council at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call the AF office at +1 (202) 783-1907 to speak with a Program Coordinator.
A proposal for an Alumni Council Grant should include the following information, as relevant to the proposed activity:
- an abstract(s) of presentations and/or a meeting agenda
- biographies of presenters
- an overall event budget, including additional funding sources
- itemization of funding requested from the Alumni Council
- estimated attendance, indicating Humboldtians and any potential future applicants expected to attend